Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Firstbook Blog Site

I found this blog and thought I would share it with you. Feel free to link it to your blog.

http://blog.firstbook.org/

First Book is a nonprofit organization with a single mission: to give children from low-income families the opportunity to read and own their first new books. Through hundreds of local Advisory Boards, the First Book National Book Bank, and the First Book Marketplace, the organization provides an ongoing supply of new books to children participating in community-based mentoring, tutoring, and family literacy programs.

First Book has provided more than 50 million new books to children in need in thousands of communities nationwide.

2 comments:

Rachel G said...

I think this is a great program. People will be surprised how much children appreciate books. Especially when the books are brand new, it makes them feel important and special that they are worthy of new books. Kudos to this organization...

tmccloskey10 said...

Sounds like a great idea. I think a lot of the kids in my class could make good use out of this opportunity. I'm sure there aren't many kids out there who can just go out and buy books. I've just started reading more often and I really enjoy it and have been talking to my students about it. If I can get them to read my blog after linking this, it could work out good. Thanks.

Tommy McCloskey